OPEN


Historic Houses and Castles

Historic Houses and Castles

Roscommon Castle

Contact

Tourist Information Office
Roscommon Town
Roscommon
Republic of Ireland

Roscommon Castle, a 13th Century Norman structure was built in 1269 by Robert de Ufford, Justiciciar of Ireland, on lands which were taken from an Augustinian priory.

The castle was laid siege by the Connacht King Aodh O'Connor in 1272. Eight years on it was once more in the possession of the English garrison and fully restored. By the year 1340 the O'Connors regained possession and held it until 1569, when it then fell to Sir Henry Sidney, the Lord Deputy.

In 1641 it was gained by the Parliamentarian faction and then confederate Catholics, under Preston, captured it in 1645. From thence, it remained in Irish hands until 1652 when it was partially blown up by Cromwellian "Ironsides" who then had all the fortifications dismantled. The castle was burned down in 1690 and ultimately fell into decay.

Things To Do Nearby




Summer festivals
email icon Facebook logo Twitter logo Google+ logo LinkedIn logo Pinterest logo