Churches, Abbeys and Monasteries
Roscrea Castle, Church, High Cross and Round Tower
Visitors will find several interesting sites in Roscrea, County Tipperary. It’s thought that King John built the castle in 1213, though some believe it was erected in the mid-13th century. The castle stands on the grounds of Damer House, an early 18th century building that exemplifies pre-Palladian architecture.
Nearby, guests can also visit St Cronan’s Church and round tower, which sit along the road. Of the 12th-century Romanesque church, only the west façade remains, and opposite it stands the round tower. St Cronan's cross is now housed in the Black Mills Centre.
Another notable site in town is the Franciscan friary that was founded in the 15th century. The east and north walls of the chancel, the bell tower and parts of the northern nave arcade remain.