Churches, Abbeys and Monasteries
St Joseph's Redemptorist Church
St Alphonsus Road
Republic of Ireland
The town of Dundalk, County Louth is home to a community of Redemptorists, or missionary priests, who settled there in 1876 and established a hospice at a temporary site. Building on the present monastery began in 1879 and opened less than two years later, standing proud and beautiful in glinting granite hewn from Newry quarries and with a warm interior resplendent in coloured marbles and intricate mosaics
In the 1890s, the granite, Romanesque-style church of St Joseph was added, replacing a much smaller, temporary chapel. The house of worship, which continues to celebrate Mass daily.