The Protestant Church of St Mary’s in Thurles is the site of the official Pre-Reformation Church of Thurles County Tipperary. The original structure was built by the Normans, in the 12th century, to provide them with a separate and more exclusive place of worship.
The church is the burial place of Lady Elizabeth Matthew, Viscountess of Thurles and Progenitor to the present heir to the British Throne.
In 1995 the Thurles Church of Ireland community kindly donated one third of this building to create a Famine Museum to commemorate the many people who lost their lives through disease and starvation during the Great Famine in Ireland of 1845-1850. The Museum holds the largest collection of Famine memorabilia in Ireland including the only known minutes of a Great Famine food committee and a display of early 18th Century period clothing. More recently this museum has been extended to include an exhibition of war memorabilia which includes the famous and rare Armstrong Collection.
The museums features a beautifully designed stone doorway inlaid into the original entrance.
Opening times are; from 1st May to 1st October, 10.00hrs to 12.30hrs and 13.30hrs to 17.00hrs. Other times by appointment.
Phone for details