This 12 km easy loop walk starts at the Kilcoe Trail Head adjacent to the R.C. Church, whose rose window inside was designed by L. Clarke /Harry Clarke Ltd.
Follow the purple arrows, and head across the N71 - taking extreme care – going east from the cross, two standing stones known as “The Gullanes”, can be Seen 1 ½ miles away on the horizon, in Toormore. The same distance away is a Cairn (a large circular mound of stones) at Skeagh. At Lissaclarig, 800m off the road, is a Ring Fort complete with circular Moat and Souterrain. A bronze arrow head found here in the 1940s, now in Fiztgeralds’s Park Museum, Cork.
Continuing, the walker passes the old Derreenard National School closed since the 1960s, there are panoramic views from here of Roaringwater Bay and Ballydehob, with Mount Kidd (800ft) in the background.
AT the T-junction take a short detour to Derreenard Bridge - which featured in the War of Independence when it was booby trapped by the military and made safe by two local volunteers. Corravoley has a former school (closed in the 1950’s) and teacher’s residence, examples of the way things were. These are now privately owned. Some remains of Corravoley Church of Ireland (1830) can also be seen on the right.
Points of Interest:
• Old rectory/school house/creamery – all closed
• Ruins of church and Teachers house
• Derreenard bridge
• Kilcoe R.C. Church – its rose window inside designed by L. Clarke/Harry Clarke Ltd.
• Old Bridge at Kilcoe (Meen Bridge) .