Looking for accommodation?
HomeDestinationsDublinLuskLusk Round Tower
Lusk Round Tower
LuskCo. Dublin
ArchitectureHeritageSightseeingChurch, Abbey or MonasteryExhibitionsVisual Arts
Lusk Heritage Centre encompasses a 9th century Round Tower, a Medieval Belfry Tower and a 19th century Church. They form a unit, although they were built over a period of almost a thousand years. They are free to visit. Tours are self-guided.

Located in the centre of Lusk Village, the Lusk Heritage Centre can be reached by the 33 bus from Lower Abbey St in Dublin City Centre.
The settlement of Lusk has been associated with St. MacCullin and his monastery since c. AD 450. It is also associated with St Maurus. The Round Tower at Lusk was built in the 10th or 11th century. It stands 27 m high (originally nearly 32 m high). Inside are nine 'floors' including the basement which is the highest number of any round tower.

The Round Tower was incorporated into the design of the early 16th-century Norman Belfry Tower. This square tower holds a number of Medieval tombs including that of James Bermingham (1527) and the magnificent effigy tomb of Christopher Barnewall and his wife Marion Sherle /Sharl (1589). The adjoining Church of Ireland building dates from 1847 and was designed by Joseph Welland in an Early English Gothic style. While standing on the right side and looking up, one of the bricks in the building has a stone image of St. Macullin's face.

The Belfry now houses an exhibition on Lusk and Medieval churches of North County Dublin. The Public may visit for free on self-guided tours.

Travel inspiration to your inbox?

Subscribe now to receive destination inspiration, travel tips, upcoming events and all the best things to do around Ireland!

Newsletter signup