The foundation stone of Saint Brendan's Cathedral was laid on 10th October 1897. Although small in size, it is large in its interior magnificence. It has been described as 'the jewel in the crown of the Celtic Revival'. The stations of the cross are a fine example of E. Rhind's work in opus sectile, while the corbels, baptismal font, and the nave capitals were carried out by Michael Shorthall. The metalwork lamps in the nave, the chalice, and the candelabra were designed by W.A. Scott, the architect who replaced the original designer W.H. Byrne. Scott is also responsible for the benches with their small, grotesque carvings on the end panels.
Visitors and locals alike can now enjoy a free 30-minute audio tour of the cathedral. The tour, available in English, French, German, Italian, and Dutch introduces you to Irish church art of international renown, with pride of place going to the unrivalled collection of Irish stained glass. The audio tour is available from the parish office, the Presbytery, Barrack Street.
Mon-Fri: 9.30am-1pm | 2pm-5.30pm