Your Great Blasket Island experience begins here!
With stunning views of the wild Atlantic coast and islands at the halfway point of the Slea Head Drive, The Blasket Centre is a fascinating heritage & cultural centre/museum honouring the unique community who lived on the remote Blasket Islands until their evacuation in 1953.
The Centre details the community’s struggle for existence, their language and culture, folklore & customs, and their extraordinary literary legacy – with classics such as ‘The Islandman’, ‘Twenty Years A-Growing’ and ‘Peig’.
Come and enjoy:
• The Centre is one of 2 Kerry Signature Points on the Wild Atlantic Way, and is a Wild Atlantic Way Ambassador
• 'Blasket Heritage', a beautiful audio-visual introduction to the Blasket Islands
• Fascinating exhibitions on the daily life, traditional fishing & farming methods, the Irish language and Blasket literature
• Interactive features to feel, listen and experience the sounds, images and elements of the islanders’ way of life
• The experiences of communities on the west coast of Ireland
• The effects of emigration on rural communities as seen in 'The American Room'
• The Irish language as is it spoken daily on the Dingle Peninsula
• The Seal-Cam – live streaming views of a large seal colony
• Bookshop – open 7 days and offering a massive selection of book on many aspects of Irish life
• 'An tIascaire' Restaurant with huge picture windows overlooking the Blasket Island and offering homebaked snacks, lunches (served all day), afternoon teas and cakes and packed lunches. Individuals, groups and family friendly.
Your visit includes:
• Full access to all the Centre's exhibitions
• Self-guided or scheduled guided tours (highly recommend to hear a 'cúpla focal' (a few Irish words)
• Free translations of the AV in English, Irish, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Welsh, Gáidhlig
• Guidebooks available in English, Irish, German, French, Spanish, Italian
• The opportunity to meet and chat with local staff
• Various touring art and photographic exhibitions throughout the season
• Information and access to the National Loop Walk 'Siúlóid na Cille'
• The opportunity to enjoy the scenic panoramas of the most westerly point of Ireland from the comfort of the Centre
• Individual or small group access to the research library
• Work and play sheets for all ages
• Access to the grounds
• Free bicycle, individual & coach parking
• Free wifi in restaurant
• Toilet & baby changing facilities
• Full wheelchair access
Other facilities include:
• Tour-guide service on the Great Blasket Island
• A calendar of heritage and cultural events is available throughout the year