Clonony Castle is a Medieval tower built by the Coghlan clan in the 1490’s and later seized by Henry VIII and ceded to Thomas Boleyn, father of the ill-fated Ann. Her nieces, Mary and Elizabeth Boleyn lived in this castle and their tombstone lies near the foot of the tower. Sympathetically restored to its original character, with two reception floors open, it also has child friendly, weather protected picnic areas with privacy and beautiful views.
Merchant Sir Matthew de Renzi acquired Clonony Castle in the 16th century. He wrote the first English/Irish dictionary.