A-B. The Grange Loop starts at the sign opposite Hogan’s Bar and Shop and takes walkers northeast to the entrance to Grange Crag Wood. The entrance here brings walkers up into the forest, past the very interesting Ice-House structure.
B-C. Follow the path clockwise to a viewing point directly above the village. From here Kilcooly Abbey and the surrounding countryside as far as the Devils Bit Mountain in the west can be viewed.
C-A. The path brings the walk to the end of the wood and back by a very pleasant road down into the village again. Where refreshments can be availed of!
Grange Loop exploration of the lower slopes and forms part of a longer circular route (the Crag Loop) – both of which have been developed as part of the Trail Kilkenny Programme.
Grange is a very small village in the Slieveardagh Hills on the Tipperary border with Kilkenny. It lies just east of the magnificent ruin of Kilcooly Abbey founded in 1182 and operated by the Cistercian order.
Grange derives its name from its being an out-farm or the Gainseach (in Gaelic) of Kilcooly. The village is based around the medieval tower-house castle that protected the area for the abbey estate. The Grange area is acknowledged to be extremely attractive in terms of scenery and interesting in its historical heritage. There are two nested loop walks starting in Grange.