The entire 42km of the Old Rail Trail Greenway is an off-road, flat pathway that’s ideal for a leisurely cycle or stroll with the whole family.
The trail works its way along the historic Midlands Great Western Railway track past restored station houses and under stone arched bridges. Make your way through the of unique biodiversity and history of Westmeath as your journey from the River Shannon in Athlone to the Royal Canal in Mullingar.
Stop off along the way for refreshments in the welcoming cafes and fantastic restaurants in Moate, Castletown, and Ballinea. Pick up your bike rental from one of the providers in Athlone, Moate, and Mullingar and start your cycle.
- Cycle or walk the 42km long greenway
- Explore a route along the historic Midlands Great Western Railway.
- See the colourful flora and interesting history of Westmeath.
- Rent bikes in Athlone, Moate, and Mullingar.
- Stop in Moate, Castletown, and Ballinea for refreshments.