The entire 43km Old Rail Trail Greenway in County Westmeath is an off road and flat pathway which is ideal for a leisurely cycle or stroll with the whole family.
The trail works its way along the historic Midlands Great Western Railway track past restored station houses and under stone arched bridges. Make your way through areas of biodiversity and soak up the heritage of County Westmeath as you journey from the River Shannon in Athlone to the Royal Canal in Mullingar.
Stop off along the way for refreshments in the welcoming cafés and fantastic restaurants in Athlone, Moate, Streamstown, Castletown, Ballinea and Mullingar. Pick up your bike rental from one of the providers in Athlone or Mullingar and start your cycle.
- Cycle or walk the 43km long greenway
- Explore a route along the historic Midlands Great Western Railway.
- See the colourful flora and interesting history of County Westmeath.
- Rent bikes in Athlone or Mullingar.
- Stop in Athlone, Moate, Streamstown, Castletown, Ballinea and Mullingar for refreshments.