OPEN


Historic Houses and Castles

Historic Houses and Castles

The Main Guard

Contact

Sarsfield Street
Clonmel
Tipperary
Republic of Ireland

The Main Guard originally the courthouse of the Ormond Palatinate, the building has served various functions over the centuries, such as market house, barracks, public house and now a museum. In 1715, the Palatinate jurisdiction was extinguished.

The ground floor, consisting of a loggia (or gallery) of open arches, was converted into shops and had additional floors added around 1810. The Main Guard, with its distinctive clock tower, has been recently restored to its original form. Almost ten years of painstaking restoration, which included incorporating stone from nearby Cistercian ruins, resulted in a Heritage Award for Best Practice in Conservation in the Tipperary.

The building is open to visitors from April to September and guided tours available.

SpecialisationsKEY
  • Culture and Heritage
  • Top Attraction
General DescriptionsKEY
  • Free Admission
Descriptions

Opening Hours: Early April - Mid September: Daily 09.00 - 17.00 -Closed on Mondays | Last admission 4.15pm. |Restricted hours during closed season. | Average Length of Visit: 40 mins. |Please note this site may close at short notice. | Visitors are advised to check ahead before visiting.

Things To Do Nearby




Summer festivals
email icon Facebook logo Twitter logo Google+ logo LinkedIn logo Pinterest logo