Ross Castle invites guests to enjoy all amenities including indoor heated swimming pool, billiards room, tennis court, canoe and fishing gear, gardens and trailed public forest at the estate’s periphery. Ross Castle is just 9 miles from Galway City and less than an hour’s drive from the Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher, salmon and trout fishing, golf courses and horseback riding.
Ross Castle was constructed in 1539 by the Ferocious O’Flahertys, one of the most distinguished tribes of Galway. The property was later acquired by the Martin family who built the present manor house upon the former castle’s foundation. After two fires and much neglect, the McLaughlin family acquired the property in the 1980s and have spent the past several decades restoring the estate to its present splendour.
There is a marquee ideally situated for panoramic views of mountains and lake suited for parties of up to 150 guests or an intimate setting for parties of up to 65 guests in Ross Castle.
Adjacent to Ross Castle, and abutting the courtyard, stands The Park Hall. Previously the carriage house and servants quarters, The Park Hall has eight bedrooms, accommodating up to 16 guests. This delightful abode offers large spacious common areas with vaulted ceilings, exposed beams and a baby grand piano. The dining area can accommodate up to 25 guests and has direct access to the billiards room, courtyard and indoor pool area.
Previously the estates courtyard stables, the St. George is a two storey cottage offering elegant features with contemporary comforts. The windows capture views of mountains and lake or the courtyards quiet serenity. The St. George has six bedrooms that are all en suite.