The Liberty Tree is a commemorative sculpture which was commissioned by Carlow Local Aurthorities to mark the Bicentenary of the 1798 Rebellion. The sculpture is the work of Dublin born and internationally renowned John Behan who had worked as an engineer in Carlow Sugar factory at an earlier point of his career.
The sculpture honours those who were massacred in the Battle of Carlow and who are buried in the Croppy Grave in Graiguecullen. It is made of bronze and set on a circular base with fountain. The sculpture features a number of macabre skeletons arranged around the tree shaped outline.
The unveiling ceremony by the Chairman of Carlow Urban District Council Councillor Rody Kelly took place on Saturday June 13th 1998. The Liberty Tree is a prominent and well known landmark in the centre of Carlow Town.