With its 68m spire and flanking domes, the Roman Catholic cathedral of Saints Patrick and Felim is one of the most impressive and eye-catching buildings in the town.
Completed in 1942, the vast interior is shaped like a basilica and extensive use is made of different colours of marble. The cathedral houses many fine examples of ecclesiastical art.
The cathedral is neo-classical in style with a single spire. The portico consists of a tympanum supported by four massive columns of Portland stone with Corinthian caps. The tympanum figures of Christ, St. Patrick and St. Felim were all created by Dublin sculptor Edward Smith.
The 28 columns in the cathedral, the pulpit on the south side, and all the statues are of pavonnazetto marble and came from the firm of Dinelli Figli of Pietrasanta in Italy.