The Park is home to the official residence of the President of Ireland, Áras an Uachtaráin (the "Irish White House" open on Saturdays), Farmleigh House (open for tours daily), the US Ambassador's residence, the Dublin Zoo (est. 1831) and the Victorian People's Flower Gardens (est. 1864).
Features to see include the Wellington Testimonial (obelisk, 1861), the Phoenix Monument (1747) and the Papal Cross (1979). Also contained in the park are polo, cricket and hurling grounds, cycling routes and walking routes. The Magazine Fort which dates to 1611 can be visited and offers nice views of the valley below.
Phoenix Park was originally formed as a royal hunting Park in the 1660s and opened to the public in 1747. A large herd of fallow deer still remain to this day and they are usually found in the Western part of the park.
An exhibition on the history and wildlife of the Phoenix Park is on display in the Visitor Centre. Adjoining the Visitor Centre is the fully restored Ashtown Castle, a medieval tower house that may date back to the 15th century.
Bicycles can be hired at the Parkgate St entrance.