Richard de Burgo granted a charter to Meiler de Bermingham in 1235 and shortly afterwards, de Bermingham started building his castle at Athenry.
Probably completed by 1250, it consists of a three-story tower surrounded by the remains of a strong outer wall and is entered at first-floor level through an unusually decorated doorway.
Recently re-roofed, the interior now contains an audio-visual room and exhibition.
The castle is open to visitors from the end of March to the end of October.
Visit the nearby ruins of the 13th century Dominican Priory with many distinctive features. The Heritage Centre has lots to offer all ages.