COVID-19 AdviceFor COVID-19 travel advice click here

Looking for accommodation?
The Spanish Arch
Galway CityCo. Galway
Museum
The Spanish Arch was built in 1584, and is located on the banks of the river Corrib, and on the site more commonly known as Ceann na Bhalla (The Head of the Wall).

The Spanish Arch was built in 1584, and is located on the banks of the river Corrib, and on the site more commonly known as Ceann na Bhalla (The Head of the Wall).

It was originally an extension of the famous city walls, designed to protect the quays. In the past, it was known as The Blind Arch. The Arch features a wooden sculpture which was sculpted by the well-known artist, Claire Shridan, who lived in the adjacent building during the 1950s.

Today, the Spanish Arch is home to the Galway City Museum.

Mail Icon SVG
Mail Icon SVGTravel inspiration to your inbox?

Subscribe now to receive destination inspiration, travel tips, upcoming events and all the best things to do around Ireland!

Newsletter signup