Church Island on Lough Currane is believed to have religious settlements on site since around the 6th century. The current ruins on this County Kerry island are believed to be dated from the 12th century. The ruins are Romanesque in style and claim their origin from Saint Fionán Cam. Church Island is known by several other Irish names including Inis Uasal or The Island of the Nobles, and is referred to as Inis Ausail in 1058 in the Annals of Inishfallen, which are currently housed in the Bodleian Library in Oxford.
This is an impressive archaeological site with ruins of a church and a surrounding graveyard. There are 11 cross slabs and pillar stones as well as burial tombs. It is believed that Fionán himself may be buried on the island. There is also a small number of beehive huts on the island and one has recently been found to be aligned to the midwinter sun for illumination. Of significant importance is a 12th century carved sandstone that depicts a musician playing a bowed lyre. The carving is similar to figures carved on the Porta de la Gloria of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela in Spain.
Access to Church Island is by boat only, and can be arranged locally, but it can also be viewed from the shore.