St Canice founded Aghaboe Abbey 30 minutes south west of Portlaoise, County Laois in 576. After being burnt in 1116 and rebuilt in 1189, it served as an Augustinian priory. Later, in 1382, Finghin Fitzpatrick granted the buildings to the Dominicans, who remained in Aghaboe for 400 years despite their suppression in in the mid-16th century.
The church, which was conserved by the local community, contains a beautifully carved three-light window in the east wall. Monks would have entered through the doorway in the north wall, which led from the cloister. The doorway in the west wall, through which the public would have entered the church, dates from the Middle Ages.
The present monastic ruins are part of that great Dominican foundation.