From the St. George's Heritage and Visitor Centre on Main Street, which also houses an interesting display and DVD show on local history, follow the brass plaque trail to the Workhouse Attic Memorial.
Introductory displays recall the role of the workhouse during the famine era. Some 1896 famine victims were recorded as living in these small, whitewashed quarters. A famine graveyard in the grounds is another legacy of this poignant chapter of Irish history.
The adjacent reading room provides an opportunity to look through reproduced copies of the Carrick Workhouse Board of Guardian's Minute Books (1843 - 1850) and to browse other evocative items of interest, including a selection of local emigration records.
Access to the workhouse attic and reading room is by guided tour and can also be arranged with the St. George’s Heritage and Visitor Centre staff.