The sea wall was built in 1851. The two walled promenade was a feature of Blackrock for over a century. One wall fronted the strand, while the other faced the street. The wall rendered the main street much narrower than it is today.
In 1952, the inner wall was removed and the street widened in order to cater for the increasing number of motor cars coming into use.
The promenade wall was completely refurbished in 2001 by Blackrock Tidy Towns and Louth County Council. The wall is exceptional in both its proximity to the main beach and because of its in-built seat provides a beautiful free facility for all to avail.
Great all year round with lovely cafés, pubs, restaurants and boutiques.