Burrishoole Abbey has had its fair share of turmoil down through the centuries, with the friars forced to flee several times, but they always returned. The friary was finally abandoned in the 18th century, and the collapse of its roof in 1793 was the start of its decline into ruin.
The abbey originally consisted of a church steeple and bell, the refectory, dormitory, cloisters and a cemetery. Today, the main church chancel, nave, tower, the southern transept and part of the cloisters remain. Much of the gothic architecture is still visible, such as the lintel windows and archways. There are some grave stones inside the church walls, of which the oldest dates back to 1623.
Burrishoole Abbey is located 1km off the main road between Newport and Mulranny. The abbey is located in the grounds of a cemetery still in use, so there is ample parking and access is through the main cemetery gate.