This is a bronze sculpture of greyhound Mick The Miller, who was born in Killeigh, County Offaly, in June 1926 and who went on to become the most famous greyhound in the world. The statue was erected on Killeigh village green in January 2011. It was commissioned by the Mick The Miller Commemoration Committee from artist Elizabeth O'Kane. It is a life size sculpture of Mick The Miller which sits atop a plinth made of stone from his birthplace, Millbrook House. The statue is accompanied by a noticeboard containing information about the committee and Mick's full life story. The sculpture is a must see for all greyhound fans or anyone interested in culture. It has been made to Mick The Miller's exact measurements but scaled up by about 5%. Artist Elizabeth O'Kane's attention to detail is such that she has even included the scar on his right cheek.
Mick The Miller was bred by Fr. Martin Brophy C.C Killeigh and reared by local man Michael Greene. He went on to win the English Derby in 1929 and 1930 and is the only greyhound ever to have won the Cesarewitch, Derby and St Leger. His intelligence and exciting running style endeared him to racegoers and they thronged in their thousands to watch him. His fame continued after he retired when he starred in the motion picture Wild Boy (1934). And his body is still on display in the Natural History Museum in Tring near London.
For those coming to visit, there are plenty of parking places on the shop side of the main road or up near the post office. In the interests of safety, visitors crossing the main road should use the pedestrian crossing at the traffic lights. All paths are wheelchair accessible. Refreshments are available in Matt Doyle's Bar and Lounge or alternatively you could grab a take away coffee, sandwich or ice cream in Gorman's Shop and sit down at the picnic area on the green where you can also learn about Killeigh's monastic history. Leaflets, postcards and other memorabilia on Mick The Miller are available for purchase in Gorman's Shop and the post office.
Killeigh is located 8 kilometres from Tullamore and 30 kilometres from Portlaoise on the N80 road. The nearest railway and bus stations are in Tullamore but the Town Link bus which services Tullamore, Mountmellick and Portlaoise, passes through the village several times per day.