Castlerea Golf Club was founded in September 1905. The course was originally located on the Ballymoe Road at Harristown before it moved to its present location at Clonalis in 1907.
The land was initially leased from the O’Conor Don family. In 1985, the members purchased the freehold interest in the lands. The clubhouse was replaced in 1990/91 when the current building was erected.
Today, the club continues to develop the course and grounds, with additional lands purchased as recently as 2007. This new development is in close proximity to the famous Clonalis House, the historic seat of the O’Conor Don family.