More than 750 years ago, Felim O'Conor, King of Connacht, established the Abbey of Roscommon, found on the outskirts of the old town of the same name.
This County Roscommon ruin has many highlights, including an effigy of a king dressed in a long robe and mantle. It is thought to be O'Conor, who was buried on the grounds, or possibly one of his successors.
Though the structure is usually referred to as an abbey, it’s more accurately described as a friary, as it was created for the Dominicans. It has faced many difficult times in its long history, including a fire in 1270 and lightning strike in 1308.