Lar na Páirce is a museum and interpretative centre dedicated to telling the story of Gaelic games and is located on the Slievenamon Road, Thurles, County Tipperary.
It was the first centre of its kind in the country and the first museum dedicated to telling the story of Gaelic sports in an interactive way. Learn about the history and development of Gaelic football and hurling from myth and legend.
The centre was officially opened by President Mary Robinson in November 1994 to mark the 110th anniversary of the foundation of the G.A.A. in Hayes' Hotel, Thurles.
There are displays on Cú Chulainn, landlords, hurley making and broadcasting, a hall of fame and the Sam Melbourne Collection of G.A.A. memorabilia and artefacts. The museum houses the oldest hurling trophy, the Silvermines Cup, which was played for in the first inter-county hurling game organised by Michael Cusack between South Galway and North Tipperary at the Phoenix Park in February 1886. Another famous trophy at the museum is the Miguez Cup for Argentinian hurling.
The Thurles tourism office is located in the building and provides ticketing for the museum.