Located just below the Garda Station and in the heart of Waterford City, St. Patrick’s Gateway Centre is a historic landmark, place of worship and community centre all in one. The existing building dates from 1720. However there has been a church on the site since at least 1050 AD. St. Patrick’s Gateway Centre is situated just inside the old Norman city walls which form the western boundary of the site and contain to archways which linked the City with a mighty Fortress called the Citadel, where the present day Garda Station stands.
The church has been rebuilt at least twice, first in 1616 and later into its current version between 1720 and 1727. The church is surrounded with the oldest intact graveyard in the city of Waterford holding at least 40000 bodies, and has soldiers and sailors from the Seven Years War, American War of Independence and the Napoleonic Wars, glassblowers, jewellers, gold and silversmiths, police officers, politicians and more buried within.
Today it houses an ecumenical and multi-national congregation under Methodist care and a community centre which has hosted concerts with local, national and international talent, workshops and has been a part of some of Waterford's major festivals including the Imagine Arts Festival and Winterval. The centre also runs a local indoor market most Saturdays.
Among the famous people associated with the church is William Hobson; the 1st Governor of New Zealand and Founder of Auckland was baptised in the church in 1792.