Established in 1921 by Sir Stanley Cochrane as his private club, Woodbrook was first affiliated to the Golfing Union of Ireland in 1926. Sir Stanley had previously indulged his enthusiasm for cricket at Woodbrook, a fact that is still reflected in the pavilion-style clubhouse and the cricket bell, which tolled the start and finish of play and now hangs in the bar. Perched on top of 100-ft cliffs, landscaped on all sides and steeped in history, Woodbrook offers a new challenge to today's golfer. Leading new-age architect Peter McEvoy has handsomely redesigned Woodbrook’s layout. The result being a course that sits comfortably alongside other rich new creations such as Mount Juliet, the K Club and Portmarnock Links. Eighteen new, sand-based, bent grass greens of varying sculpture and built to a standard set by the USGA, combined with the cunning placement of fairway and greenside bunkers, call for shot-making virtuosity of the highest calibre.
Woodbrook Golf Club is located in Shankill, Dublin. With its configuration of five par threes and five par fives, Woodbrook’s layout is unusual, it is a testing championship course in every meaning of the word.
Golf course details
Type of course
N. of holes
Gold 6,961yd; blue 6,868yd; red/ladies 5,988yd