This is an easy 8km loop walk lasting two hours with excellent views of the tidal Ilen River in its many phases.
Starting at the Trail Head at St Comghall’s Church at Lisheen, the walk follows blue arrows along quiet tar roads. Lough Ine hill and the Beacon in Baltimore can be viewed as the walker turns left at Minihane’s Pub to travel along the Old road towards Reenadonagh Pier. At the Pier the walker takes a right turn along the banks of the Ilen with views of the islands of Innisbeg, Reengaroga & Sherkin on the opposite side. Wading birds such as the Curlew and the Little Egreet can be seen on the mud flats as the tide ebbs.
There is an option at the cross road leading people to Turk Head or to Cuan Caogh or Fasagh for excellent views of Whitehall Bay and Cunnamore Pier. Continuing on the original Trail people will pass the only pub in the vicinity on their way back to the Trail head.
Points of Interest:
• Ilen River
• Reenadonagh Pier
• Island Views
• Bird life.
• St Comghall’s Church – 1834
Take to the water on the River Ilen Blueway from Baltimore to Skibbereen.