Although in the style of Kilbolane Castle are of the 13th century, it was built in the 15th or 16th century probably by the Cogans from whom it was acquired by the Earls of Desmond.
It was destroyed by Cromwells army in 1642, leaving only two of its towers intact. Each tower was then used by separate parties until 1897, when they were purchased by Hannigan. They have been maintained over the years by the Board of Works. The Castle itself is not accessible to the public however it can be viewed from the roadside in Milford.