Tradition has it that in 1711, the Babington family built the first house at Greenfort, which is near Kerrykeel in County Donegal. The Bartons expanded and remodelled the house in the early 1800s and then in 1965, the Perrys renovated and added to the buildings. The walled garden and mature trees date from the early Barton era, with the great ponticum bushes being about a century old.
In the 20th century, the walled garden supplied fruit and vegetables to the Barton's Hotel at Portsalon. The Perry family moved from Bunlin, Milford in 1965 and Lionel Perry undertook extensive remodelling and replanting, which has been continued by his successors.
There are many species as well as hybrid rhododendron, azalea and camellia. Additionally, the garden features large areas of naturalised spring bulbs, acres of snowdrops, narcissi and bluebells. There are four areas for picnicking. Stout shoes or wellies are needed for walks.
Visit is by appointment only.