Arthur Guinness story began in the small village of Celbridge in 1725. Where he spent most of his youth with his family and where he learned his trade from his father who worked for Arthur Price, the Church of Ireland Archbishop of Cashel.
Arthur Guinness set up his first brewery in Leixlip, County Kildare, in 1756 after he was left a 100 pounds inheritance by his godfather, Archbishop Arthur Price. As the business was a great success, Arthur secured a new property by acquiring the 9,000 year lease and located his brewing business in the heart of Dublin City at St. James's Gate and for the past 300 years Guinness is been brewed there.
Walk in Arthur's footsteps: The Trail is set out in four stages
Leixlip to Celbridge
Celbridge - Hazelhatch
Hazelhatch - Lyons Estate
Lyons Estate - Oughterard
Some place of interest:
Arthur Guinesss Square, Leixlip Castle, St. Mary's Church. Arthur Guinness Statue and Castletown House. The Grand Canal and its importance to the brewing of the Guinness and the Miltown Feeder. Lyons Estate and the final resting place of Arthur Guinness at Oughterard Cemetery.
The nearby Courtyard Hotel was the original Guinness Brewery site.