Located just 5km from Kenagh, County Longford, the village of Abbeyderg is home to a 13th century Augustinian monastery founded by Gormgall O’Quinn. It was the final resting place of Maiolin O'Mulgonry, who has been described as Chief Ollamh and poet of Ireland.
The Abbey remained in existence until 1540 when it, along with four other monasteries in the Annaly region, was surrendered to Henry VIII. The monastery was destroyed in 1567, though some of the structure remains preserved. The priory is surrounded by a graveyard with the majority of the headstones dating from the 19th and 20th centuries.
Head towards Ballymahon, stop off at the Royal Canal and take a walk along the tow path.