Turlough Park House is a fine example of High Victorian Gothic architecture, set amidst 30 acres of spectacular gardens, parkland and woodland.
The site is also home to a branch of the National Museum of Ireland where the National Folklife Collection is on permanent display.
Built in 1865 and designed by the celebrated architect Thomas Newenham Deane, Turlough Park House was the ancestral home of the Fitzgerald family, who owned a large estate here from the mid-17th century.
Garden features include an ornamental lake with islands, riverside walks, terraced lawns, art installations and woodland paths. The main focal point from the front of the house is a restored Victorian style glasshouse. A central path to the rockery is flanked by formal flower beds, surrounded by paths and lawns. A conservatory, which is curvilinear lean-to on the stable wall, is an interesting period piece and indications are that it may be a Richard Turner.
Facilities include toilets, parking, wheelchair access and restaurant. Group visits are welcome, through the bookings office.