This Georgian Walled Garden was built by the Colclough (pronounced Coke-lee) family over 200 years ago, before 1814. Restoration work by volunteers, organised by Hook Tourism, began in July 2010, after a five-year licence was signed with the garden’s owners Coillte Teoranta. The original layout of the Walled Garden has been reinstated as it was in the 1830’s.
The main features of this 2.5 acre stone/brick lined Walled Garden include curved corners, two intra mural structures on the dividing brick wall which splits the garden into two sections, east (Ornamental) and west (Kitchen), and a river, crossed by 5 bridges, which flows through the length of the Walled Garden. It is situated in a verdant vale with beautiful wooded scenery filled with songbirds. Visitors pass through the quondam village of Tintern along the woodland path where bluebells and wild garlic abound in springtime. In summer beech trees cast a dappled shade until the open blue sky of the Walled Garden is reached, where Colclough eagles still fly.
The Walled Garden was built 520 metres south west from Tintern Abbey, using stone gathered from the surrounding fields and lined with bricks which were hand made in the Walled Garden using local estuarine mud. Lime was made in a lime kiln at the battlement bridge from burnt limestone brought from the Hook Peninsula by boat and mixed with sea sand to make lime mortar.
The original layout of the garden has been reinstated as it was in 1838 using information found in the OSI Historical Map. This map shows the path structure, 5 bridges, the outer-enclosure, the location of the vegetable garden and fruit trees. Colclough Walled Garden re-opened to the public on May 18th 2012. Come and visit!