Visit Wicklow’s Historic Gaol to discover the harsh realities of prison life endured by its 18th century inmates. This atmospheric jail museum experience offers a glimpse of life in Ireland’s past in this thought-provoking attraction in Wicklow Town.
Join an interactive tour led by experienced actor guides to hear the story of its prisoners including the participants in the Irish Rebellion of 1798 and inmates awaiting transportation to a new life in Australia.
The jail's original dungeon is open for the first time in over 100 years and so visitors can see first-hand the sights and sounds of harsh life in the dungeon. Wicklow Gaol’s story is interwoven with the history of Wicklow and Ireland itself and is a highlight on any visit to the area.
- Experience life in a Victorian-era prison.
- Learn from experienced guides on the interactive tour.
- Immersive virtual reality experience transports visitors back in time.
- Take an eerie tour of one of Ireland’s most haunted buildings by night.
- Enjoy a break at the Jailer's Rest Café.
Wicklow's Historic Gaol, is one of the most haunted places in Ireland. Hear and feel the stories of inmates who shared in its brutal history, and who never left.