The Cliffs of Moher Coastal Walking trail, link the villages of Liscannor and Doolin, via the Cliffs of Moher Visitor Centre.
This trail will bring the walker into one of the most outstanding landscapes of Ireland. From Liscannor and Hags Head in the south, along by the majestic Cliffs of Moher and to Doolin in the north, with views over Aill na Searrach, the Aran Islands, and Galway Bay.
The trail starts on road from Liscannor and Doolin Villages, and on protected paths at the Cliffs of Moher Visitor Centre, but changes suddenly to a remote, challenging and demanding trail, with no barriers, handrails or seaward fencing. Trail features include an exposed cliff-top path, steep ascents and descents, and narrow/steep flagstone steps. The trail may be rough and uneven in places with loose gravel and stone. This walking trail requires an ability to adapt to sudden and possibly extreme changes in weather and a level of physical ability to undertake a demanding length of walk in adverse conditions.
Cliff Path Safety Code
1. Keep to the official path, away from cliff edges and overhangs
2. Always supervise children, especially near cliff edges
3. Walking surfaces can vary considerably with the weather. Always wear strong footwear with a good grip and ankle support
4. Wear or carry warm and waterproof clothing, sunscreen, fluid, snack and mobile phone
5. Be aware that weather conditions can change suddenly. Strong onshore wind can suddenly change to off-shore as the wind eddies on the higher sections of the cliff. Heavy fog is common and results in extremely poor visibility
6. Apply the principles of Leave No Trace by being well prepared for your walk, following trail notices, taking home your rubbish and minimizing your impact on the environment
Why not take a guided walk with someone who really knows the trail inside out. Pat Sweeney was one of the driving forces behind the development of this trail which passes through his land and he will take you on a walk of a lifetime from Doolin to the Cliffs of Moher. Pat’s knowledge of trail will add to your enjoyment. Pat’s walk begins at 10:00 daily from O’Connor’s pub in Fishers Street, Doolin (April – October).
This walking trail has been developed with kind assistance of local landowners and organisations. Please respect these landowners, their fencing, and their livestock, by parking in designated areas only, and staying on the official trail. It is understood that if persons enter private land they do so by permission and with the consent of the landowners, and no matter how often they enter, or in what numbers, they do not do so as of any right. Strictly no dogs or bicycles.