Doon ('An Dun' in Irish ) is situated on the shores of Doon Lake, the site of extensive woodland since pre-historic times.
It was originally the site of Doon Mulvihill, a tower house built on the site of an ancient fort. The castle was demolished in the 18th century and the stone used for the erection of Doon House, which also has since been demolished. In 1986, three submerged canoes estimated to be 2,000-2,500 years old were found on the northern side of the lake.
The woodland surrounding the lake consists of birches, alder, while the oak woodlands in the nearby (see map) Violet Hill date back to 1850. Fauna includes squirrels and pine marten, and many species of birds can be spotted, including owl, wood pigeon, jay, and other common small birds. On the waterfront are swan duck, duck, heron, waterhen, and coot.
Facilities on the site include lay-by, lakeshore picnic site, fishing, and forest walks. The East Clare Way passes to the west of Doon Lake and the ruin of Teerovannan Castle, a McNamara stronghold dating from the 15th century, is situated nearby.