A former stronghold of the O'Dea clan, this 15th century tower house was badly damaged by Cromwell's forces in 1651. Restored and reopened in 1986, it now houses an extensive museum, an audio visual presentation and various exhibitions.
This authentically restored castle was a stronghold of the O'Dea Clan. It now houses the Clare Archaeology Centre and has been the recipient of numerous national awards.
The centre has a modern history room, 1700 AD to 2000 AD, a museum of local artefacts from 1000 BC to 700 AD, an audio visual presentation and a Roof Wall Walk.
Surrounding the castle is the Dysert O’Dea Archeology Trail (4km) containing 25 original field monuments.
On site facilities include a bookshop, tea rooms and free car and coach parking.